8 Resources for Staying Safe Online
February 19, 2019
Most people are fully aware of their vulnerability to cyber crime; however, most don’t know precisely what they can do about it–or where to do for information.
According to the 2019 Cyber Barometer published last month by Generali Global Assistance, more than 50% of individuals around the world were the victim of a cyber crime, or knew someone who was. In the U.S. credit card theft and identity theft are currently the most common forms of cyber crime. If you would like to view an infographic of Generali’s study, click here.
I have come across a LOT of websites when conducting research for the insurance courses I write that provide tips and advice to people seeking to protect themselves. URLs to those websites, and the valuable information they provide, appear below. I hope you find some of the helpful!
- Consumer info from the FTC: https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/topics/privacy-identity-online-security
- Identity Theft Resource Center: https://www.idtheftcenter.org/
- Security Awareness Free Resources (click Resources Tab at the top right of the home page): https://www.knowbe4.com/
- Security Tips (MANY of them, for various types of threats), from US-CERT: https://www.us-cert.gov/ncas/tips
- IRS Tax Scams: https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/tax-scams-consumer-alerts
- Privacy Rights Clearinghouse: https://www.privacyrights.org/
- How Secure Is My Password: https://howsecureismypassword.net/
- Password Generator Tool: https://thebestvpn.com/password-generator/